Tracking pixel

Domestic abuse - national, local and specialist support

No matter your gender, sexuality, age or situation, there is support available for everyone.

National Advice and Support

Refuge - Freephone 24-Hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline

Offering support to anyone experiencing domestic abuse

0808 2000 247 (access live chat Mon-Fri 3-10pm)

In an emergency, always dial 999 - if you are unable to speak always press '55' when prompted to confirm an emergency.

Find out more about ‘Make yourself heard’ - what to do if you need urgent police help through the 999 service, but can’t speak, here (pdf).

Domestic abuse: How to get help easy read guidance (pdf)
Find out how to get help if you or someone you know is being abused at home.

Logo for Refuge with the words 'For women and children against domestic violence' beneath it

Support in our heartlands

Warrington     St Helens      Liverpool

If you are not in these areas, you can find out more about local support from your local council, find your local council here.

Specialist Support

Support for Women

Support for Men

LGBT+ Support

Support for young people

Support for older people

  • Hourglass - Older people experiencing any form of abuse
    0808 808 8141

Support for victims of stalking and harassment

Support for victims of rape

  • Rape Crisis
    0808 802 9999
  • SurvivorsUK
    Helpline for men who have been victims of rape or sexual assault
    003 598 3898

Support for minoritised ethnicities

Support for honour-based abuse

Support for people with a disability

Support for perpetrators of abuse

  • Respect Helpline
    For anyone worried that they may be harming someone else.
    0808 8024040

Find out more about support for perpetrators here.

Support for Torus tenants

Torus tenants can contact us to discuss making their property more secure or to discuss their options in relation to housing, get in touch today.

Ask for ANI (Assistance Needed Immediately) for victims of domestic abuse – Job Centres and Pharmacies

Ask for ANI (Action Needed Immediately) is a codeword scheme that provides a safe, discreet and confidential way for victims of domestic abuse to access immediate help from their local pharmacy or jobcentre.

Anyone using the codeword will receive support from a trained staff member who will guide them to a safe and private space where they can help call the police or specialist domestic abuse services.

A postcode checker has been launched to enable anyone to locate their nearest Ask for ANI service.

Find your nearest participating pharmacy or jobcentre

Ask for ANI is delivered in partnership with Safe Spaces, a safe and confidential room where victims can take some time to reflect, access information on specialist support services or call friends or family. Safe Spaces are available anywhere Ask for ANI is offered.

*All locations that display the ANI hand symbol offer both Ask for ANI and Safe Spaces.

Clare's Law - Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS)

Clare's Law is for anyone who wants to find out if someone they are in a relationship with has a record of abusive offences, or suggest a risk of violence or abuse.

What is Clare’s Law?
Clare’s Law, or the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS), means that anyone can ask the police about a partner. Also, a member of the public can ask about the partner of a close friend or family member.  If the police decide to share the information, it will usually be with the person at risk. This is unless someone else is better placed to use the information to protect the person at risk from abuse (e.g. if the person at risk is a young person or a vulnerable adult).

How do I put in an application?
You can do this in person at your local police station.

What happens when an application is put in?
The police would assess if the person named in the application is a risk to their partner based on previous violence or abuse convictions.  If the subject poses a risk of causing harm this information may be given to the person at risk.

Will the subject know they are being checked out, and who asked for the check?
No, they will not be told that they are being checked out unless the police need to give someone information to keep someone safe– a disclosure. If a disclosure does take place the subject may be informed that someone is going to receive a disclosure about them.

We are unable to provide advice or information on Clare’s Law. Please contact your local police station for more information.

Quick exit Click to leave site immediately