Tracking pixel
Black and white photo of two people arguing

Noise Nuisance or Domestic Abuse?

Torus takes reports of anti-social behaviour (ASB) and noise nuisance seriously. However on some occasions, what may seem like a noise issue could be domestic abuse. Domestic abuse should not be confused with ASB it is a form of abuse which can result in serious harm, injury or even death. It affects adults as well as children. 

If you believe you witness or hear what you believe is domestic abuse, we ask you to be a good neighbour and help to keep others safe by reporting it straight away to the Police, DO NOT wait to report it to Torus as noise nuisance. This could lead to delays in victims receiving the right support quickly.  Remember, be a good neighbour, report the crime and you may prevent someone being seriously harmed or worse.

ADDED: 20 February 2023
UPDATED: 17 March 2023 

How to identify domestic abuse?

Many couples or families will have will clash and argue at times, but domestic abuse is entirely different. Domestic abuse includes threatening behaviour, patterns of violence or controlling behaviour a which takes place between people over the aged of 16 who are family members or partners (including ex-partners). 

Children are often present whilst the abuse is taking place and will be affected by what they see and hear, therefore are considered victims also. Domestic abuse can include the following: 

  • Physical abuse: Pushing, hitting, punching, kicking, choking and using weapons.
  • Sexual abuse: Forcing or pressuring someone to have sex (rape), unwanted sexual activity, touching, groping someone or making them watch pornography.
  • Financial abuse: Taking money, controlling finances, not letting someone work.
  • Emotional/psychological abuse: Making someone feel bad or scared, stalking, blackmailing, constantly checking up on someone, playing mind games.
  • Coercive control: A pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence.

Find out more about types of domestic abuse

As a neighbour, you may hear what sounds like someone being assaulted, screaming, shouting, crying, items being broken, people being locked out of the home or damage to the property. Whilst it may sound like noise and causes you disturbance, ask yourself could this be someone who is need of help?

How to help your neighbour if you overhear rowing or worse

Every week in England and Wales two women are killed by their partner or ex-partner. The police receive 100 calls an hour reporting domestic abuse. Men as well as women are affected. Domestic abuse is a hidden crime and people are often too afraid to speak out.

If you believe that you have witnessed a neighbour and/or their children are experiencing domestic abuse you should report this to the police immediately. Your neighbour may need your help to prevent their serious injury or death so it’s important to know   what to do. 

You may feel that you don’t want to interfere, or you may worry what may happen to you if your neighbour finds out you have told someone. However, the best way to help your neighbour is to phone the police or contact Crimestoppers anonymously. The police can help victims to keep safe and help them to access specialist support services. They can also use the law to stop someone causing further harm.

EMERGENCY – where an adult or child is at risk of immediate harm:

  • In an emergency, always call the Police on 999 - if you are unable to speak always press '55' when prompted by the operator to confirm an emergency and you will be put through to the police.
  • You can also contact the local authority safeguarding teams to report concerns for an adult at risk or children, find out more here.


  • Contact the police on 101 or to report any incident that you suspect might be Domestic Abuse.
  • You can report anonymously to Crimestoppers online at or phone 0800 555111. Your neighbour will not know who has reported, it is 100% anonymously - guaranteed.

Still report to Torus

Please still also report concerns to our Safer Estates Team so we can help to provide support.  Reports can made in several ways:

  • By email to
  • Over the phone on 0800 678 1894 
  • Or to your Neighbourhood Officer
  • In person at one of our offices in St Helens, Warrington or Liverpool.

Find out more about ASB and reporting online here

Click here for more information on support from Torus, local and national specialist support for all victims and perpetrators of domestic abuse and local services.

Quick exit Click to leave site immediately